To ensure timely identification and processing of these urgent cases, applications can now be mailed to closest local IRCC office, rather than to the Case Processing Centre in Edmonton.


The intention is for victims of family violence who are seeking a TRP to be assessed as expeditiously as possible

Eligibility for a family violence TRP - Foreign National

  • physically located in Canada and experiencing abuse, including physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse or neglect, from their spouse or common-law partner while in Canada
  • seeking permanent residence that is contingent on remaining in a genuine relationship in which there is abuse and if the relationship with the abusive spouse or common-law partner is critical for the continuation of the individual’s status in Canada

Examples of individuals who may be eligible include foreign nationals who

  • are applicants of the family class or spouse or common-law partner in Canada class (SCLPC class) who have either already left their sponsor, due to abuse, or not yet left their sponsor, due to fear of losing their immigration status
  • cannot be assessed for permanent residence because their sponsor (abusive spouse or common law partner) has withdrawn their family class or SCLPC class sponsorship application
  • have been misled and made to believe by an abusive spouse or common-law partner that their family class or SCLPC class permanent residence application has been submitted and is in process when, in fact, no application has been submitted
  • are temporary residents intending to apply for permanent residence through a genuine relationship that has become abusive, but who may not yet have an application in process

Dependent foreign national children of victims of family violence (both must be in Canada) are also eligible for a family violence TRP.