Temporary residents can now change their sex identifiers on Canadian immigration documents


IRCC is modernizing its documents as part of Canada’s mandate to protect and promote the human rights of LGBTQ2 + persons.

IRCC now allows temporary residents to change their sex or gender identifier on their immigration documents. Canada recognizes three sex identifiers on travel documents for foreigners: “x”, “f”, and “m”.

Background: Starting August 31, Canadians will be able to identify as neither male nor female when applying for a passport. In addition, other documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will include an ‘X’. The measure will allow people to identify themselves as having a gender that is unspecified.

Those who wish to change their sex on their immigration documents can only do so as long as their papers are not historical records. 

Historical records include immigration records and Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) documents. These cannot be changed unless a clerical or administrative error was made.